Tarot forum for Michael Jackson supporters



    Posts : 5208
    Join date : 2010-03-02
    Location : PLACE WITH NO NAME


    Post  EMPATHY on Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:38 pm

    Frank Dileo talks
    about Michael and the TII tour
    30 JULY 2009

    Industry vet Frank DiLeo, who was the
    manager of Michael Jackson from 1984 through 1989, returned to the fold
    to help guide the superstar through his “This Is It” concerts and
    presumably beyond, but it was not to be. Here, the industry veteran
    shares his thoughts with HITS’ own ambulance-chasing Roy Trakin.

    Q. This is like Godfather III… Just when you
    thought you were out, they pull you back in. How did you get involved
    with Michael again?

    Michael first called me a couple of years
    ago, after he came back from Bahrain, then was in Ireland and Vegas for a
    while. We chitchatted, he called again and we started communicating
    about film projects
    . There were a couple of scripts we wanted
    to develop and produce. Then he got involved in this concert deal.

    called me in March and said, “Frank, I need someone with a little bit
    of experience. Would you like to manage me again and take care of all
    this stuff?” And I said, “Yeah, sure.” By the time I came in, everything
    was signed. Dr. Thome Thome—who is someone I don’t want to talk about
    in this interview—had miscalculated the scheduling on the dates, which
    is something I had to take care of, because Michael didn’t want to
    perform more than twice a week.

    Was Michael aware that he was signing for up to 50 individual shows?

    I read the contract. I know what the minimum amount of dates were, as
    well as the maximum number of dates. That contract was read to Michael
    by three different lawyers, as well as Dr. Thome. He wanted to beat
    Prince’s record and be in the Guinness Book of World Records. He was the
    one who picked the number 50. There were enough ticket sales to do 85
    shows, but he was zeroed in on 50. That’s what he wanted and that’s what
    happened. Dr. Thome had him doing three or four shows a week, though. I
    was adjusting and moving dates to try to make it more palatable for
    Michael to do. --> Definitely someone is lying here! We
    were told he didn't want to perform 50 shows and that he only signed 10.

    Q. What had you been doing since managing
    Michael the first time?

    I was in New York with a management
    company in the ’90s. I retired for a while and spent some time with my
    son and daughter, seeing them through college. My kids didn’t get a lot
    of time with me growing up because I was on tour so much, so I felt I
    owed them that. And that lasted seven years. I did a lot of consulting
    work. I owned a piece of Tribeca Grill with Robert DeNiro, which did
    very well.
    In 2004 I lost my eyesight, and it’s taken six operations
    to enable me to see. I still have limited vision. It was a diabetic
    condition that separated the retina. I lost complete sight in one eye
    and 80% in the other eye. It took two years for them to figure that out.
    There’s a lot of scar tissue still, and I don’t see well in light. I
    have to wear dark glasses all the time. I have to move my head to see
    certain letters because I have a permanent “V” in my vision.

    Q. You sat in on most of the rehearsals.
    single one. He was in good condition. He was working out with Lou
    Ferrigno. He was dancing over three hours every day after his workout.
    He was prepared. A lot of times he would watch and direct. These are
    songs he’s sung his whole life. He didn’t have to go full out every day.
    The last couple of weeks, he stepped it up.

    On the night before
    he died, when he came down after doing 10 or 11 songs, Kenny Ortega was
    at the bottom of the stairs, we all hugged and Michael put his arm
    around us and we around him, to walk him to his dressing room. And he
    said, “Frank, I’m ready. I’m doing all 50 shows. Don’t even think that
    I’m not.”

    We talked about possibly doing stadiums after the 50.
    He said, “Frank, I’ve never been happier. Since you’ve been back, things
    are going well. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. We did it
    once. This is our time to do it again.” And that was the last time I
    saw him alive.

    Q. People were
    saying Michael was down to 110 pounds and wasn’t in good physical shape.

    that’s all bullish. He was not down to 110 pounds. He was around 140.
    At his maximum, he was maybe 155.

    Q. You’re telling me this is a very confident guy, ready to take
    on this challenge.

    He knew he was 50 and that the other
    dancers were young. He built his stamina up to the point where he knew
    he could do it. Michael’s a competitive guy.

    I don’t care whether
    you’re five years old or 40, you’re not going to out-dance Michael
    Jackson. He’s gonna put it to you sooner or later. And he worked himself
    up to that.

    Q. How did you
    originally hear about Michael falling ill?

    A fan called and
    said there was an ambulance in front of Michael’s house. I had just sat
    down to lunch. I called Michael’s assistant and asked what was going on,
    and I was told there was something
    wrong and he was on his way over there

    was COMING over there? ..)
    So I got in my car and drove over. When I got to the gate, they
    told me everyone had already left. I turned around and went to UCLA
    Medical Center, and while I was in the car, Katherine called and I told
    her she should meet us at the hospital.

    So we went in the back,
    and they were working on him in the room. So I thought he was going to
    be OK. Then the nurse came out, she looked at me and I looked at her… I
    almost fainted. The look told me it was over, but they would keep
    working on him until his mother arrived.

    Meanwhile, the kids were
    all there, in another room. I had to go in with a doctor and a social
    worker to tell them what happened. And those are two things I never,
    ever want to do again. Excuse me a minute, I might cry here. Let me get a
    sip of water.

    Q. What was the
    children’s reaction?

    Exactly what you think it would be:
    [they] ran up to me, grabbed me, crying and screaming. Finally, Jermaine
    and LaToya showed up, then Randy… And a social worker started talking
    to all of them. Meanwhile, I was dealing with the press, trying to keep
    everybody out, and set up some security.

    At that point, they said
    the kids wanted to see their dad. So they moved Michael into a room and
    covered him. I went in first, got a chance to hug him, kiss him and say
    goodbye, and 20 minutes later, the kids and the rest of the family got
    to do the same thing.

    Everybody forgets. Michael wasn’t just a
    client to me; he was my friend. I always managed him from that basis. We
    were friends in the ’80s, and we were friends after he fired me. We
    were always friends.

    Q. Were
    you aware that Michael had a prescription drug problem?

    didn’t know. I realize it’s come out that he did go to rehab. I asked
    him in March about it, and he got very indignant. He said, “Frank,
    do you think I would do something that would jeopardize my kids and
    leave them alone? Don’t be ridiculous.”

    So what do
    you say? Do addicts ever admit they’re doing drugs? No. So, I got to
    take the man’s word. He’s 50 years old. How far could I push him? I
    never heard of the stuff he supposedly took [propofol]. When I heard
    about that on TV, I couldn’t believe it.

    Q. Do you have any opinion about the two
    doctors under investigation, Dr. Arnold Klein and Dr. Conrad Murray?

    gone to Dr. Klein for years. I don’t know how Michael met Dr. Murray.
    Michael brought him up to me when he mentioned that part of his contract
    required AEG to hire him a doctor to be with him in London, and he
    specified he wanted Dr. Murray, claiming he was his family doctor. The
    original price he asked for was outrageous. I told Michael I could buy
    him a whole hospital for that kind of money.

    --> Of course, he didn't want anyone else since he needed to hoax his
    death, that's why he might have insisted on having Murray with him as a

    Q. The press reports said AEG was paying him
    $150k a month.

    That’s what I OK’d. What he originally asked
    for was astronomical. AEG did not hire the doctor. That was Michael’s
    doctor for months. AEG just advanced him the payment, which was part of
    the budget.

    I had one meeting with him, making sure Michael had
    the right vitamins, what kind of smoothies to make, should it be G2 or
    Gatorade after the show? He told us he was a cardiologist, and I said,
    “Michael, this is perfect. Because I’ve already had three heart attacks
    and I have seven stents in my heart. If I drop over in London, this
    guy’s right there.”

    Q. Dr.
    Murray was the last man to see Michael Jackson alive.

    He was,
    yes. Nobody knows what happened in that room. We have to wait for the
    toxicology and the autopsy. I do know the preliminary autopsy said
    Michael’s organs were in good shape, his liver was good, his heart was
    strong. They said he did not
    have a heart attack. It had to be some sort of allergic reaction

    or something that didn’t blend right. There was some sort of reaction.

    Q. Where does that leave you at this point?
    are a few things that have to get cleared up. I have to make sure the
    estate understands some of the things that I know. I’ve been appointed
    to the board of Sony/ATV Music Publishing. So I have a role to play

    Michael wrote the letter getting me appointed. After they
    removed Dr. Thome, they added myself and Joel Katz.

    Q. Does it sadden you to see how the family’s
    inner disagreements are now being aired in public?

    It’s sad
    to the point that there’s a lot of misinformation. The family didn’t
    know what was going on. They didn’t see Michael every day like I did. He
    was the closest to his mother and his kids. But I gave him that
    personal space to be with his family.

    Some of them are talking
    about things I don’t think they have the knowledge to talk about. That’s
    just emotion. They have to face the facts and make some decisions.

    Q. What was Michael’s relationship like with
    his father?

    Joe was his father, and that’s what Michael
    wanted. He didn’t want to know about any business. He just wanted him to
    be his father. He wanted to be loved as a son, not a commodity.

    Q. Did he ever get that?
    I don’t
    know. Watch the Larry King interview with Joe Jackson and you make that
    determination. It was a train wreck.

    Q. You must still be in a state of shock.
    created one of the greatest shows ever, a $27 million production. I went
    through it with him every day. It’s sad that people will never get to
    see that. But the key thing here is that I lost my friend. That’s what
    matters to me. All this other stuff is what it is.

    Q. Where is your nickname “Tookie” come from?
    derived from the name “Tookie.” The chief of police in Pittsburgh came
    to see my dad when I was born and called me that. Then it became
    “Tukkie” when I met my wife. Everybody I know from childhood calls me

    For everybody after I met my wife, it’s “Tukkie.” We’ve
    been married for 32 years. I’m the only guy in the record business
    who’s never had to go to rehab or get a divorce.

    "You and I must make a pact, we must bring salvation back,
    whenever you need me, I,ll be there".


    Posts : 3910
    Join date : 2010-03-02
    Location : Serbia


    Post  starfish on Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:16 pm

    Very interesting... study

      Current date/time is Sun May 20, 2018 6:59 am